Wednesday 22 January 2014

The end is nigh!

Journalism at its finest
(from Private Eye)
DAY 22

Crikey, it's been a while since I last wrote a blog post. The end of my NCTJ fast-track course is nigh, and I've been busy cramming myself with information I'll forget by the end of the week. That's what exams are for, no? 

After 14 years of state education, three years of university and two years of grown-up work, I can honestly say this last five months have been the most gruelling. There is just so much stuff. So much stuff to know. It's been constant pressure, constant doubt about whether I'm good enough, whether I've just blown a lot of money and actually maybe I should just do what I wanted to do when I was six, and become a farmer's wife so I can have a dog and a lamb. But I had to keep going, and as much as I've looked, there are no farmers wife courses in this country. 

I'm really going to miss the morning train journey to Brighton. This is not sarcasm, I love trains. I love that you can just sit there for a while, not having to do anything, not being anywhere. If I sat down like that on the sofa I'd start feeling guilty for not doing stuff. And it would be a bit weird. There is something exciting about train stations and airports and the tube. Everyone's going somewhere, there's a feeling that you're on a frontier, that beyond the platform there's a whole world to explore. Obviously I just go to college, but it's nice to have the option. Every morning I get into the same carriage with the same people. I never talk to them, but I'll miss them. Lady with the grey bob, guy with the headphones, bald man.

The 5:2 diet is still going alright! Especially as my body hates letting go of fat. In 3 weeks I've lost 4lbs, 4% of body fat and put on 3lbs of muscle. The pull up is still a long way away as I haven't had much time to get to the gym recently. I went for a run tonight though, got out all my post law-exam jitters.

I'm London-bound tomorrow for a job interview. I'm like a nerve junky - I've been so awash with adrenaline this week I've become numb to it. Maybe this time I won't make a twat of myself.   

No comments:

Post a Comment